Who is this course for?
Data Modelling is the fundamental skill needed to produce sophisticated analyses and powerful reports. This course is aimed at people who have some experience of using Power BI and who want to take their skills to the next level.C
After the course, attendees will be able to use Power BI Desktop’s data modelling features to design and arrange their data into well- known dimensional modelling patterns – resulting in better reports and dashboards. They will be able to review and critique data models.
Course Length – 2 days
- The basics: tables, columns and data types
- The grain of a table, and why this is important
- Primary and foreign keys
- Unique and distinct values
- Discrete and continuous variables
- Relationships between tables
- Fact and dimension tables
- Star schemas (and their advantages)
- Snowflake schemas
- Just enough DAX for data modelling
- Data shaping with the Query Editor
- Date (calendar) tables and
- Role playing dimensions e.g. several date columns in the same fact table
Basic familiarity with Power BI Desktop – for example by attending the ‘Introduction to Power BI’ course.