This course is a practical hands-on introduction to R for business analysts. It will help you get started with R and use it productively. It teaches what you are most likely to need in your daily work; loading, cleaning, tidying, visualising and transforming data to calculate results, gain insight and generate reports. No previous knowledge of R is required to join the course.
This a 2 day workshop. Both days are full days between 9am and 5pm. Each day will have several sessions. The format will be 25% lecture, 25% demo and 50% hands-on exercises.
The sessions include:
- download and install R and R Studio
- load data from flat files and Excel spreadsheets and databases into RStudio
- clean data e.g. handle missing values
- explore and visualise data – build a few charts
- transform data to gain insight and calculate results – filter, group, sort and calculate
- export and save data to CSV, Excel and databases
- build reports
- use R with Power BI and Tableau
- improve charts to make them publication quality (with themes, labels color palettes, facets)
- manipulate text and strings
We’ll use a variety of free public datasets in all the exercises.
There will be a final session (mainly lecture format) which will be an “whetting your appetite” awareness session of the more advanced and powerful capabilities in R including:
- build predictive models
- text mining
- call web services (such as those for text analytics)
- scrape data from web pages
- analyse financial time-series application